Success Story: Marine
STX France Cruise SA (France)
Schneider Electric MV Electrical distribution in Cruise ships
I. CUSTOMER ENVIRONMENT / PROJECT CONTEXT
STX Europe is one of the world's largest builders of cruise ships and has either built - or has in the order booked - the 15 largest cruise ships in the world. STX Europe is also one of Europe's top three ferry builders.
Customer objective and constraints:
The main objective of the shipyard for the construction of a Cruise ship is to guarantee a ship that is completely safe for the passenger.
This means that STX expects his subcontractor to propose a reliable solution (equipment).
A loop configuration allows the customer to manage his electrical network and thus avoid energy losses.
The shipyard's main constraint due to the ship construction method and deadline is to choose a supplier who will comply with the manufacturing deadline.
II. SOLUTION IMPLEMENTATION
Implementation methodology (main phases):
Schneider Electric was identified by STX as a good partner with:
Electrical Distribution Network Reliability Solution:
Solution overview (services, products, systems, architectures...):
The following equipment was chosen:
- Main Switchboard with McSet: 11kV - 60Hz - busbar: 2500A - Isc = 50kA
- Loop equipment with RM6: 11kV - 60Hz - busbar: 630A - Isc = 16kA
- Reactor to limit the Isc level from 50kA to 16kA from BCV
- Local Control panel design by Schneider Electric Marine Activity
The main switchboard consisted of 2 x 17 cubicles (AD2) + one control panel delivered in one block. That means that Schneider Electric delivered a complete switchboard 13m long and weighing 22 tonnes installed all at the same time onboard the ship.
III. RESULTS / ACHIEVEMENT
- Schneider Electric offer (Product and equipment) lets you install a loop MV distribution thanks to the Ring Main unit and optimise the installation by 30% (cables, transformers, LV distribution).
- This solution also guarantees the reliability (continuity of service) of the MV distribution network.
- A configurable electrical network
- Type approved equipment (DNV certification)